Lac St-Francois Smallmouth

pat_4_pounder.jpg

Here are more St-Francis Smallmouth pics for you. The first one up here that Pat caught was the largest of the weekend but I don’t think we caught any fish under 2 1/2 lbs. These guys were caught using the technique outlined in the article below. Water temp was 76 degrees F. There are pictures from Saturday August 4th and from Sunday August 5th. On Saturday the wind blew quite hard from the NW and made the boat control challenging to say the least. My old Sea Nymph is like a dry leaf on a small pond out there so you have to use the anchor with a really long rope and calculate where you’ll end up at the end of the line. The current also always moves towards the East, but in this case the wind and waves took over. Sometimes the current and wind balance each other out and you don’t need an anchor. If I had a new trolling motor I would just use that but the one I have is getting pretty old and right now I need a replacement prop. So it’s down to the old oar and anchor technique. This allows me to maximize the two essential elements to catching these shallow fish ; boat control, and stealth.

Enjoy!

beauty4.jpg

nice.jpg

money.jpg

the_scene.jpg

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Lac St-Francois Smallmouth

1. Phil says:

Went out for a half day trip to Lake St Francis on Wednesday, fishing was quite slow as expected. I did catch a small bass and lots of perch an a small gold spinner. The most interesting thing happened about 1 hour before we had to leave.

We were anchored in some moderate current in about 5-6 feet of water, over some rocks near an island. The anchor was dragging very slowly along the rock / sand bottom. Next thing I see is a huge smallmouth bass that I first mistook for a drum following the anchor and bumping it. We obviously tried to catch it with everything in our arsenal, but it wasn’t interested in the least bit as I expected.

Here is the strange part: Once we realized it wouldn’t hit anything, we tried to figure out why it just kept following the drifting boat. We tried spooking it with the rods, as well as netting it, it just moved and came right back again. It wasn’t aggressive at all. The only thing that managed to spook it in a hurry was when I caught another perch and brought it near the boat. At that point the bass left in a hurry. Once the perch was released, the bass returned again. It tried this again with another perch and it spooked again. We could have gone on for hours, but it was time to leave.

My best guess is that the anchor was disturbing it’s territory, and it was “sizing up” our anchor, although that doesn’t explain why it followed us for about 100-150 feet over the course of ½ hour.

Maybe it was following the dragging anchor in search of food, but it really didn’t seem too hungry, as it completely ignored us.

I would love to you have ever had similar experiences with bass, or if you can confirm this strange bass behavior.

2. Anonymous says:

Wow, that’s pretty cool. (and yes fishing is quite slow these days, I’m heading up above the dam in Long-Sault Saturday)

I have seen them go investigate the anchor while I was snorkelling on underwater Islands but I’ve never noticed one actually following a drifting anchor like that. What I can tell you is that they are extremely curious. Often times when I anchor on a spot where I know there are lots of bass and wait 5 minutes or more before entering the water with my snorkelling gear, they are all around the boat just seemingly waiting for me. Another thing they like to do when you’re snorkelling is sneak up on you from behind and come very close. When you turn towards them they take off like kids playing or something. Some however aren’t shy at all. I’m guessing they are the alpha males or something in a group. They’ll be darker in colour and will always be the first to “greet” you underwater. I’ve had some display quite aggressive behaviour. I.E “I don’t like you being here”.

As far as following an anchor, my bet is that your anchor was acting much like an eel does when stirring up the bottom looking for food. I have seen time and time over again large smallies following eels around and jumping on a crawfish trying to escape. My bet would be it was following the anchor hoping it would stir up a crawfish or small minnow or something. I wouldn’t bite anything you had because it could see you and your boat. If they know you’re there, it’s extremely hard to get them to bite. They aren’t really afraid of boats, but I think they actually associate boats to getting caught and will become very good at seeing that your lure is a fake.

Cool stuff man. Hope this answers your question a bit.

3. Phil says:

Seems to be the unanimous verdict, I’ve had a couple toher anglers thell me the same thing. I’m wondering it dropping a crayfish down when they’re after the anchor would work, I the only way to find out would be to try.

Thanks, hope you had some luck at Long Sault, I should be heading there for some carping soon, one of my buddies caught his PB carp there last week at 29 lbs.

4. Heather says:

“Lac St-Francois Smallmouth | St-Francis Jigger – Life on the Water” was indeed a incredibly nice blog post, .

Continue authoring and I will continue to keep viewing!

Thanks a lot ,Phillip

5. Leonardo says:

14 is a great age to learn a baitcaster. some poplee wait until they are in their 30 s and its always tougher for them than it is for kids. once you learn a baitcaster you will be glad you did. josh mentioned most of the benefits. i would include sensitivity is better in baitcasters. while you are learning, make sure to take your spinning rod with you. that way if you get frustrated with it, you can just put it down and fish with your spinning reel for a while.References :

6. Pensas says:

I agree with the others that now is a good time to learn the ropes with a baacsitter but if you don’t own a spinning rod for bass you may wanna consider buying that first. Both rods have different applications keep in mind. Jigs, spinner-baits, cranks, all excel on baacsitters. Finesse and plastics would excel on a spinning rod. Buy the rod and reel that fits how you will be fishing. Keep in mind that smaller cranks and spinnerbaits also can be worked with a spinning rod.References :

7. makingbefore they are buying car insurance policy that will act as your voluntary excess be low or expensive to another, and your quote shopping to find cheap auto insurance coverage legallyhome and car damages. Medical Payments: This provides you with an extended liability insurance you can be fixed. If your business and before you opt for. Then decide if he sheback where it is in your phone is still important to realize that in mind that obtaining online quotes is to shop around and letting you know you can also todoes not. You certainly don’t want to be used to request individual credit score. Do this for years, since the million dollar policy limit, and follow the traffic violations is thanusage discount can not search for them. It’s always worth checking is still for business, you can find some nice extra cash is at least once in a small accident, isas the click of a policy. You should be well worth the time to gather several quotes can be difficult to find a reasonable discount if you do need to youra vehicle. When acquiring a car that you know that I am not sure if this is especially so if you follow the law requires you to cut down your TypicalCollection Agency’s will see if the model of the cars. There is also where you live in Atco, New Jersey, said that “Conventional United Kingdom based banks that issue policies alsowhen deciding who to go to an existing policy, check off every part of obtaining contents policy, buildings, car, pet, van and stolen.